The state has ordered mandatory water cut backs because of our severe drought. Below are 10 ideas that may help you save water.
1) Follow the 2-6-8-10 Plan. Water only 2 days a week, between 6pm and 8am with 10 minutes per station.
2) Get a “smart controller” for your sprinkler system. It will water based on weather conditions & restrictions can be inputted.
3) Replace your lawn with artificial turf or water wise landscaping. There are rebates available for those who make the switch. http://www.bewaterwise.com/
4) Cut your time in the shower. Every minute you cut saves 75 gallons per month.
5) Scrape food off your dishes and don’t rinse before putting them in the dishwasher.
6) Run only full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine.
7) Replace toilets with new 1.28 gallon or less per flush models.
8) Fix all leaks including dripping faucets ASAP.
9) Replace shower heads with water conserving models.
10) Get a cover for your pool or spa.
Most residents in the South Bay are required to reduce their water usage between 24-30% depending on which city they live in. Torrance is requiring a 24% year over year reduction. Rancho Palos Verdes is 26% and Palos Verdes Peninsula is 30%. Hopefully the El Nino we are currently experiencing will bring a very wet winter and offer some drought relief this winter.